Featured Member BadgeHardware Massive Chapter Leader
About meAlick Lau was born in Hong Kong and raised in Australia. He is a multi-disciplinary professional with experiences ranging from academic research to project management. After receiving his doctorate in 2009 from the University of Queensland, he returned to Hong Kong to further develop his career in the Design and Creative Industries.
Speaking both the languages of science and business, as well as being fluent in English, Cantonese and learning Mandarin, Alick is well suited and thrives in working within convergence fields and cultures where innovation and creativity are born.
While working in Hong Kong he was instrumental in the development of a Design Index that evaluated the local design industry for the Hong Kong Design Centre. Following which Alick was project manager at the Digital Entertainment laboratory in The School of Design at The Polytechnic University of Hong Kong, where he curated TEDx Hong Kong, The city’s first TEDx event and featured UN Ambassador of Peace, Dr Jane Goodall in 2010. In addition to this achievement he organised The Second Annual Asia Consciousness Festival, a 24 day festival featuring over 50 individual events including:
- An academic conferences with 20 international guest speakers
- A series of educational workshops and film screenings
- A holistic wellness “Fair” called Wisdom of Wonder
- Two music concerts with Hawaiian ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro and supported by Hong Kong Pop Star, G.E.M.
- A two days retreat at The Kadoorie Institute with world renounced philosopher and theorist Dr Ervin Laszlo.
Alick is a passionate advocate for design and creativity, engaging with students, local designers, artists and entrepreneurs in developing start ups ventures in the digital entertainment and technology space.
- Reason for joining
- To learn more about the hardware community in HK and aboard as well as getting involved with new startup ventures
- What are your areas of expertise?
- Project & Event Management, Market Research, Client Relations & Business Development
- What do you want to learn more about?
- The Make It & Hackers community in general as well as the latest advances in robotoics, AI and 3D printing. Future Fashion & Food Tech is also an interested of mines
- Who do you want to connect with most?
- Ray Kurzweil & Peter Diamandis